Friday 10 September 2010

August 4th, early 5th

This is it. The day. After such a long time talking about it, we are on our way. After getting the bags ready in the morning, one duffel bag per person, we are imagining all sorts of stories about what and how the trip will go.









7:30 pm, and we are leaving the house for the airport, it is early but I hate being late and have to rush around the airport. Had to queue quite a while before checking in.


The plane will be departing from terminal 2E Gate E 75. As we get there, the plane is visible through the window, and it is true that the A380 is a big plane. Boarding time, and when in the plane it looks very roomy but once seated there is no more room than in any other wide body plane. The push back is about 30 minutes late due to a small technical problem with the PA system, fixed after a computer reset. Once the plane starts moving it is obvious that it is very quiet inside. The impression is confirmed once we start rolling down the runway (26R at CDG) for take off. Once airborne with the gear up I feel good; it will be a pleasant flight. We got the usual service before the lights went off for the night. The kids got into watching 1 or 2 movies (maybe more I do not know). As for me, I was quite tired and closed my eyes and went to sleep. I did not sleep well as there was not enough room to be comfortable. After tossing and turning I “woke” up when we were passing over southern Zambia just before the Livingstone area. One great thing on this plane is the camera looking down from the tail. You can clearly see the ground and I could clearly recognise the Caprivi Strip and a while later the Makgadikgadi Pans, places that we would drive to in a few days. We started our descent around the Limpopo River, the border between Botswana and South Africa. After a smooth approach and landing on runway 03R we got onto stand about 30 minutes late. I am all excited as I am now back in Africa after all these years.









No comments:

Post a Comment