Friday 10 September 2010

August 14th

After a good night's sleep, it was time to get ready to return to Botswana. Doing the washing up is not always fun.
























Before leaving town we decide to stop one more time at the Victoria Falls Hotel to see the view from the terrace as we'd arrived there the evening before after dark. It is quite a magnificent view and it is not by accident that this hotel is where it is.

















Time to drive back to Kasane as we booked another river cruise, this time on the Chobe River. On the road the speed limit is 80km/h and, not being in an hurry, I am not driving fast, only about 100 km/h. Out of nowhere a police officer steps out onto the road and wave at us to stop. With a big smile tells us that we have been "over speeding". His colleague shows us the radar and it shows 99 km/h. The fine is $100 US, for the speeding. Then he asks me to show him my driver's licence. It is nowhere to be found. I can see that the fine will go up. But the officer tells me that there is no problem and that we can go. I tell him that I would like to get a receipt for the money I have just given him. He smiles kindly and starts writing it up. The receipt shows the fine is $20 US. I question the fact that he writes $20 US on the receipts and he has $100 US in his hand. “I did you a favor and I hope you will return it......” he says.





But what is 20 bucks when you are a billionaire









Leaving Zimbabwe is far quicker than getting in. Back in Kasane we try once more for a campsite at Chobe Safari Lodge. No luck, but we are happy to go back to where we stayed a few nights before.















The Chobe River Cruise is very interesting. The guide on the boat is very knowledgeable and he re-enforces our interest in birds that we took few pictures of them.


































Another great sunset on the river and a peaceful evening at Ngina campsite.










No comments:

Post a Comment